Get the latest updates on NC State's response to COVID-19 (coronavirus) and access resources to stay informed. Learn more here.
Bachelor of Arts
Core History Courses
- Four introductory history courses to satisfy requirements for geographical breadth, with a course in each of four groups: world history, history of Asia or Africa or Latin America, European history, and American history. This also satisfies the College requirements for general education in history.
- The Sophomore Seminar (HI 300) – A course to introduce the methods and skills of historical research and writing. Advised to be taken before any advanced electives.
- The Senior Seminar (HI 491) – A small seminar as a capstone research and writing experience for seniors. We offer a variety of focused topics each semester.
- The six remaining courses in the major must be beyond introductory (200) level, with at least three courses (for students entering as of 2018) being Advanced Electives (400-level classes). Students may choose any topics, and perhaps build a focus of study with their selections.
- The degree plan includes 30 credit hours of Free Electives, letting students select courses to build general knowledge, a specialty, or a Minor.