Funding Your Graduate Education

The History Department offers a number of funding opportunities for graduate student education, research, professional development, and travel. Award amounts for travel and the availability of additional work in the History Department depends on the availability of funds each year. Additional funding opportunities are available through the NC State Office of Scholarship and Financial Aid.

Teaching Assistantships

The History Department funds a number of graduate students as teaching assistants through the Graduate Student Support Plan (GSSP). These students receive a teaching assistantship, health insurance, and tuition (for a limited number of semesters). These students are still responsible for the payment of fees. Students funded under GSSP must carry a full course load of 9 hours and are responsible for the difference between in-state and out-of-state tuition for their second year and subsequent years if they do not establish residency. Students with teaching assistantships engage in different types of work, depending on their assignments. Some lead discussion sections. Others grade, deliver lectures, design teaching activities, create assignments, research course materials, and a variety of other tasks. Ph.D. students may be asked to teach their own courses as instructors of record.

Unlike many other student workers in the department, TAs do not need to submit a biweekly timesheet. New TAs should be aware that, depending on the dates of their first pay period, their first paycheck might not cover a full two weeks. Also, new TAs should be aware that payday is two weeks after the end of the pay period. See Human Resources for the biweekly pay schedule.

  • Fundamentals in Teaching Workshops: North Carolina State University’s Graduate School offers to all currently enrolled graduate students free workshops in leadership and teaching development. The Fundamentals in Teaching (FIT) workshops cover topics like active learning, classroom assessment techniques, classroom management, effective questioning techniques, and evaluating and grading. The History Department strongly encourages all teaching assistants to attend at least one FIT workshop each semester.
  • Certificate of Accomplishment in Teaching: As part of the Preparing Future Leaders initiative, graduate students who teach courses at the university are eligible to apply for the Certificate of Accomplishment in Teaching program (CoAT) offered by the Graduate School. CoAT is a way for students to be recognized for their accomplishments in teaching and is especially beneficial for graduate students that wish to pursue a career in education post graduation. Students that obtain the certificate become more competitive candidates for jobs in the fields of education and academia because they will have a teaching portfolio including evaluations and lesson plans to present at an interview. The History Department strongly encourages all graduate students who wish to continue on to a Ph.D. and teach at the college or university level to participate in the CoAT program. 
  • Moodle: Consider taking a workshop through Distance Education & Learning Technology Applications (DELTA) on Moodle, the University’s learning management system, or other teaching-related topics.
  • Graduate School Teaching Resources: The Graduate School lists selected web sites, articles, and other materials to provide support for professional development in teaching, including a list of FIT workshop topics. Other offerings include links to nationwide-networking sites for graduate teaching assistants, such as Gradshare.
  • Student Privacy: Make sure that you comply with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). Read the University’s FERPA Regulation
  • Teaching Collection: This collection of teaching resources is divided into three main topics: “Designing a Course” and “Teaching a Course.” The “Designing a Course” section includes information on how to create a syllabus, how to ensure assignments and classroom activities promote the goals of that syllabus, and improving students’ critical thinking and writing skills. The “Teaching a Course” sections includes information on creating an inviting and productive classroom environment, information on how to establish authority and confidence in the classroom, resources on creating engaging discussions and lectures and encouraging students to participate, resources on assessing student learning, grading and providing feedback, and managing classroom incivility. This collection also includes links to several online primary source collections.
  • Lounge Library: The History Department provides a variety of teaching resources in the Graduate Lounge. These books introduce graduate students to the theory and practice of teaching. The History Department also provides resources through Moodle to teaching assistants. These materials include tips on leading discussion, designing activities, and grading assignments, among other topics.

Fellowships and Financial Support

Students interested in additional financial support should visit the Graduate School's Financial Support page. Students will find links to a broad range of options for financial assistance, including Fellowships. History students may be particularly interested in the Community of Science Funding Opportunities Database, available to those on the NC State server from the Nationally Competitive Fellowship page. This tool allows students to search a comprehensive database of funding opportunities. Students should perform an advanced search on relevant fields, including humanities, history, and public history.

Student Employment

Faculty members often seek to hire graduate students in the History Department for grading, researching, and other tasks. If you are interested in being hired for work within the History Department, fill out the Graduate Student Work form for the current academic year. Students who complete this form may also opt to receive job postings from employers looking to hire graduate students.

Graduate Student Work Form

Internship Grants

Public History students often secure additional financial support by working part-time at either a historic site, museum, archive, or library. Many students find employment opportunities either through word of mouth, through volunteering, or through the History Graduate Student Association (HGSA) mailing list. The required internship is also an excellent opportunity to develop contacts in the field that may prove useful in finding future employment. In the past, some students have continued on after their internship as a part-time employee.

Internship grants provided through the National Endowment for the Humanities are available for graduate students. Contact the Director of Graduate Programs for information about applying for a NEH grant award.

Conference and Research Travel Funding

The Department and the University provides funding for conference and research travel. The History Department provide funds, depending on the year’s budget, for graduate students to present at conferences and to conduct research at archives. The Director of Graduate Programs will send out a call for students to request departmental travel funds using the Graduate Student Travel Proposal form. Students should contact the Director of Graduate Programs with all questions related to the consideration of their proposals. The Graduate Student Association (GSA) provides some funding for travel reimbursement. 

Students who are granted travel funds by the History Department are required to fill out specific forms. Students who are not already employed by the university must fill out the NC State University Non-Employee / Student Travel Authorization Form and submit it to the History Department Graduate Assistant, Ingrid Hoffius, in person in Withers 356 or by email to Non-employee students are responsible for submitting all travel receipts to Ingrid Hoffius within 10 days of completing travel. Students who are university employees must fill out a Travel Authorization online through the Travel Center in MyPack Portal. University employees are responsible for submitting a Travel Reimbursement through the Travel Center in MyPack Portal within 30 days of completing travel. All students should contact Ms. Hoffius with questions about Travel Authorizations/Travel Reimbursements.

How to submit a TA/TR (Employee)

Which Travel Expenses Requires a Receipt? Original receipts are required for reimbursements. All expenses for reimbursement require a receipt except meals and mileage (these expenses will be reimbursed at set rates). Below are the types of reimbursable expenses:

  • Airline: Students may use a receipt received by email. It must state the total cost of the trip and any booking fees and indicate that a credit card was charged. Students may also use more traditional receipts as long as they are originals and show a zero balance due. It is preferred that students contact the department to book airfare through World Travel or other online agencies on the department credit card. 
  • Hotel: The hotel/lodging must be a commercial establishment. An original hotel statement is required. Proof of payment is strictly enforced. The balance of charges must equal zero at the bottom of the receipt. If this is not on the receipt, students may turn in a credit card statement showing the payment. Room service will not be reimbursed. Hotel charges for internet and parking are permitted. It is preferred that students provide the department with reservation information before their departure so staff can link the payment to the department credit card. 
  • Rental Car: Students may use a receipt received by email. It must state the total cost of the trip, any booking fees, and that a credit card was charged. Students may also use traditional receipts as long as they are originals and show proof of payment. Any insurance purchased on the rental vehicle is considered a non-reimbursable expense. It is preferred that students book this through Enterprise or World Travel on the department credit card.
  • Other Transportation: For trains, buses, subways, and taxis, original receipts are required for reimbursement over $5. The use of public transportation are reimbursable up to $5.00 without a receipt. 
  • Registration Fees: Students must provide the department’s office assistant, Ms. Courtney Hamilton, with all documents relating to the conference registration. This includes the conference fee page of a web site or conference booklet, a general description of the conference with dates, location, and content (usually on the cover page of the conference booklet or opening web site), and the payment of the registration. The payment must show any meals even if the meal is free. The receipt must show proof of payment or documentation from a bank or credit card is required. It is preferred that you visit the department to register with the department credit card. 
  • Other: Other reimbursable expenses include baggage, entrance fees, or city parking. Students may also be reimbursed for library copy fees. Remember an original receipt is required.

University Fellowships

The Graduate School offers several fellowships for incoming and continuing graduate students. Contact the Director of Graduate Programs if you are interested in applying for or being nominated for any of these fellowships.

Graduate Funding – History News More Stories